Saturday 30 July 2011

Planking for beginners


Planking or the lying down game is an activity consisting of lying face down in an unusual or incongruous location. The hands must touch the sides of the body and having a photograph of the participant taken and posted on the internet is an integral part of the game. Players compete to find the most unusual and original location in which to play. The term planking is described as the practice of lying down flat with arms to the side, to mimic a wooden plank. source

Of course my kids always have try such things, so here 
is their take on the game. As you will see Jake and Ruth 
got a little competitive and there was an element of 
"my plank is more daring than your plank" I wasn't around 
when this "activity took place but Ruth has let
 me use the pictures to write this post !

The opening picture (above) was Jake demonstrating the "basic" plank,
 closely followed by Ruth on the swing chair not in front of it. 


Next up Ruth on a Garden Bench then a table. Had I been present,
 I may well have pointed out the table is made of glass 
and this was perhaps more dangerous than she imagined.



Not to be outdone Jake went for the Table swing "Combo"


Then the standing plank, resulting in a nice brick pattern on the forehead !!!


"I can beat that" says Ruth... The unsupported leg plank...  


Height is the added extreme factor... 
So Jake goes for the wheelie bin tops...


"I will see your 2 wheelie bins and raise the game by adding a gap" 
shouts Ruth 


More height, A plank on the shed roof !!!


Closely followed by the shed / garage roof combo, 
which I think saw Ruth defeated...


Finally, a victory plank on the back fence !!!


You may notice that there was no planking by me. 
Well to be honest I see the two of them planking and just keep 
thinking of that old phrase...

"As thick as two short planks"